Public health activities for the City and County are provided by this department. Funding is derived from the City of Brownwood and Brown County as well as through grants from the Texas Department of State Health Services. The City of Brownwood has supervisory control. The area activities are preventative in nature and do not include treatment except sexually diseases and T.B. The various components of the department include; Community and Rural Health, (chronic diseases, immunization, STD, HIV, and Tuberculosis), Women, Infant and Children nutrition program, Sanitary Inspections, and Public Health Preparedness.
- Continue to provide and improve health programs and health education.
- Encourage more community involvement in disease prevention.
- Create a greater preventive health awareness among restaurants, vendors, day care, and school lunch rooms concerning the planning of their menus.
- Offer free non certification food classes for restaurants. Increase immunization numbers, and awareness of STD and HIV prevention.
- Draft and implement comprhensive public health emergency plans to mitigate the affect of public health threats.